The Merseyside WheelPower Sports Festival...
The Glasgow WheelPower Sports Festival in association with Scottish Disability Sport (SDS) is an inclusive event for anyone over the age of 5 years with a physical disability to discover sport in a safe, welcoming and friendly environment.
Join us in Glasgow to try Wheelchair Curling, Athletics, Boccia, Wheelchair Tennis and Wheelchair basketball … If you have any questions regarding this event please give us a call on 01296 395995 or email the Sports team via firstname.lastname@example.org
**ONLINE BOOKING NOW OPEN**
- Thursday 10 October 2024. Registration is from 9.30am and the festival will finish at approximately 3.00pm.
- Scotstoun Sports Campus, Glasgow, G14 9HD (directions) There is plenty of free accessible parking on site. The venue has accessible toilets and changing facilities.
We ask for a minimum donation of £5 to attend this event. With your donation we will continue to support physically disabled people to access sport.
A packed lunch will be provided for participants only. There is a café on site for parents/carers/teachers to purchase lunch.
Who is the Festival for?
WheelPower’s Sports Festival is open to anyone with a physical disability, from the age of 5 years to Adult. Please note that activities will be split into appropriate age groups. If any siblings want to attend as well to enable them to take part in the activities together then they are more than welcome – just let us know.
“It’s my first time at a WheelPower Sports Festival and it’s been a really good day. I’ve never done archery before and I managed to hit the bullseye which was amazing, pickleball was a lot of fun, and I even did a bit of boccia too. As well as the sport it’s just been fun meeting other people I’ve never met before and getting my competitiveness on!” Trish (2023 Festival Participant)
Sports and activities:
- The Festival will include a variety of wheelchair sports including: Wheelchair Curling, Athletics, Boccia, Wheelchair Tennis and Wheelchair basketball.
- These activities are all about having fun, learning new skills and receiving coaching – this may include a small element of competition but this is optional.
- Everyone will be welcomed to take part and the sports and activities will be suitable for you at a level at which you will feel comfortable.
- Each sport will last for 40 minutes but people can go at their own pace and have rests when needed.
- All of our sports coaches have lots of experience in delivering activities to people who have different impairments and needs.
- All people attending can discuss their needs and support with the Event Manager and sport coaches in a safe and private environment before starting an activity.
- For some of the sports at the festival you will be required to use your own wheelchair. Please ensure, if applicable, that you bring a chair that you are willing to use in activities at the Festival. WheelPower’s sports wheelchairs will be available for certain sports.
Scottish Disability Sport
We are delighted to be working with our friends from Scottish Disability Sport (SDS) to bring this brand new sports festival to the people of Glasgow.
Scottish Disability Sport is the Scottish governing and co-coordinating body of all sports for people of all ages and abilities with a physical, sensory or learning disability. SDS is constantly attempting to widen the range of available sports options for individuals of all levels of ability with a disability in Scotland.