The Buckinghamshire WheelPower Sports Festival...
The Yorkshire WheelPower Sports Festival is an inclusive event for anyone over the age of 5 years with a physical disability to discover sport in a safe, welcoming and friendly environment.
Join us in Buckinghamshire to try Boccia, Table Tennis, Para Ice Hockey, Tennis and Wheelchair Rugby League … If you have any questions regarding this event please give us a call on 01296 395995 or email the Sports team via firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday 31 January 2024. Registration is from 9.30am and the festival will finish at approximately 3.00pm.
- Concord Sports Centre, Shiregreen Lane, Sheffield, S5 6AE (Directions) There is plenty of free accessible parking on site. The venue has accessible toilets and changing facilities.
We ask for a minimum donation of £5 to attend this event. With your donation we will continue to support physically disabled people to access sport.
A packed lunch will be provided.
Who is the Festival for?
WheelPower’s Sports Festival is open to anyone with a physical disability, from the age of 5 years to Adult. Please note that activities will be split into appropriate age groups.
If any siblings want to attend as well to enable them to take part in the activities together then they are more than welcome – just let us know.
"My son William has been in a wheelchair for nearly a year now after being diagnosed with a functional neurological disorder. He was a very active child and sport was a massive part of his life. Before today he had not tried wheelchair sports before and hes absolutely loved it, especially the wheelchair rugby league. He was really nervous coming but as soon as he got into it he thought it was brilliant and really fun. All you want is to see your child enjoying themselves and its been nice to talk to other parents too." Debra Ford from Mansfield
Sports and activities:
- The Festival will include a variety of wheelchair sports (confirmed sports are Wheelchair Rugby League (Sheffield Eagles) Boccia (Sheffield Smashers) Table Tennis, Para Ice Hockey (Sheffield Steelkings) and Wheelchair Tennis (TBC)
- These activities are all about having fun, learning new skills and receiving coaching – this may include a small element of competition but this is optional.
- Everyone will be welcomed to take part and the sports and activities will be suitable for you at a level at which you will feel comfortable.
- Each sport will last for 40 minutes but people can go at their own pace and have rests when needed.
- All of our sports coaches have lots of experience in delivering activities to people who have different impairments and needs.
- All people attending can discuss their needs and support with the Event Manager and sport coaches in a safe and private environment before starting an activity.
- For some of the sports at the festival you will be required to use your own wheelchair. Please ensure, if applicable, that you bring a chair that you are willing to use in activities at the Festival. WheelPower’s sports wheelchairs will be available for certain sports.
"I’ve absolutely enjoyed my day and it was really well organised event. Playing sport is very important for my mental health and I love the social aspect. I’m now challenging myself to get fitter and also better at the sports I'm playing. The sport I enjoyed the most which I was quite surprised by was badminton, and that’s now something I would really like to take up in the area as soon as possible. Thank you WheelPower for coming to Yorkshire. See you next year!" Lottie, 41 from Sheffield